CHRIS ALGIERI gets the chance to ruin Amir Khan's hopes of a September showdown against Floyd Mayweather on Friday night.
He knows what it's like to cause an upset, having beaten Ruslan Provodnikov to claim the WBO Light-Welterweight title last summer, before a points setback against Manny Pacquiao.
Today, BoxNation gets to know Chris Algieri.
Date of Birth: March 2 1984
Hometown: Huntington, NY
Pro Record: 20(8)-1
1) Algieri is of Argentine (mother, Adriana) and Italian (father, Dominic) descent.
2) He took up kick boxing while at Stony Brook University and became a double world champion at the contact sport.
3) At Stony Brook he attained a bachelor's degree in Healthcare and at New York Institute of Technology gained a Master's.
4) While working for his Master's, Chris combined studies with boxing professionally and was 10-0 when he left education in 2010.
5) When he retires, Algieri plans a Stony Brook return to study medicine.
6) Although a late starter to boxing, Algieri first took up martial arts at 13-years-old when he competed in karate. After getting his black belt he started wrestling.
7) The Khan fight is only his second contest as a full-time boxer, having worked as a personal trainer and nutritionist until beating Provodnikov.
8) Chris' favourite drink is mate-tea which is made from made from the Argentine Yerba mate plant.
9) Algieri lost on points to Manny Pacquiao but has two wins over the Filipino, beating him at pool and basketball shooting on the press tour.
10) He has several fighting heroes but loved watching Alexis Arguello and Robert Duran with his grandfather, who also told him about Argentine legend Carlos Monzon.
11) He is now trained by John David Jackson after splitting with Tim Lane, who was panned after the Pacquiao setback.
12) When Chris is at home in Huntington he shares a duplex apartment with his parents, older brother Michael (a New York City cop), his wife and three kids. Chris stays in the basement.