Tyson Fury has pulled out of purse bids to face British and
Commonwealth heavyweight champion David Price, ending hopes of
Britain's biggest domestic fight taking place this year.
The British Boxing Board of Control ordered the pair to
meet and bids were due to be opened next Wednesday.
But Fury's promoter Mick Hennessy has notified the BBB of C that
Fury will not be taking the mandated contest against the 6ft 8in
Fury's trainer Peter Fury said: "We wish David Price all the
best, but we are going in an entirely different direction.
"We are going to conquer United States and it looks like we will
fight Steve Cunningham next, then the winner of Chris Arreola v
Bermane Stiverne or Jonathan Banks.
"The aim right now is to get to the number one ranking and then
win the world heavyweight title."
Fury is lining up Cunningham when he makes his Stateside debut
in New York on April 20, possibly at Madison Square Garden's
Price's camp were disappointed at Fury's pull-out, but insisted
it will not affect preparations ahead of his 12 rounder against
former world title challenger Tony Thompson in Liverpool on
February 23 - a fight being shown live on BoxNation.
His promoter Frank Maloney had planned a big bid and wanted to
stage the fight in June at Anfield or a London football
He said: "It is another great fight that the British public are
going to miss out on and that is a shame.
"It is a fight boxing needs, but Hennessy has informed the Board
that they are going another route.
"David is remaining focused in Thompson and we still hope that
eventually he and Tyson will meet in a major contest."
It is the second time that Fury has withdrawn from a fight
The fight was initially made last year when he was British
champion, but pulled out minutes before purses bids were due.