Michael Conlan may not have to wait long until he can avenge his Olympics defeat to Vladimir Nikitin two years ago.
The boxing tournament at the 2016 Olympic Games had a number of controversial decisions, but that robbery in Rio de Janeiro received the most criticism.
Due to the damage caused by Conlan in the Bantamweight quarter-final, Nikitin was forced to withdraw from the semi-final.
After expressing his disgust and slamming AIBA, the Northern Irishman signed with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotions at the end of 2016 and is now 8-0 as a professional.
Nikitin also signed with Top Rank earlier this year. Over the weekend he made his debut in the paid ranks, knocking down Edward Kakembo twice to earn to a six-round unanimous decision.
See you soon Vlad.. Congrats. pic.twitter.com/ZO48Vf8JdU— Michael Conlan (@mickconlan11) July 28, 2018
"I want Conlan. That is the plan, and he is the main reason why I signed with Top Rank. The judges won't be necessary this time around," warned the Russian.
Nikitin's manager Egis Klimas says the 28-year-old had over 300 amateur bouts, winning silver at the 2013 World Amateur Championships and a bronze medal at the 2013 European Championships, as well as his Olympic bronze in Brazil.
Carl Moretti recently told ESPN that the rematch is probably "a year or so away". "To put it in New York or Ireland would be incredible because of the history between the two. Nikitin is fully aware that the goal is to get to a Conlan rematch in the pro ranks," added the Top Rank vice president.
Another one of Conlan's stablemates, Shakur Stevenson, is progressing well as a professional after winning a silver medal in Rio. The 21-year-old has also been touted as a future foe for the Belfast man.